“IF I WERE A BOOK …”
Workshop with André Letria
If I were a book…
A playful and creative workshop on how to invent surprising word-and-image combinations, under the supervision of André Letria. This Portuguese illustrator and his father José Jorge are the authors of If I were a book …, a wonderful picture book that invites its reader to search for the many shapes a book can take.
For max. 12 children and parents.
From 8 years on
Saturday 25/3 in French, 15h > 17h
Sunday 26/3 in Dutch, 15h >17h
De Kleurdoos Moutstraat 24 1000 Brussel
Entry: 5 euro
Reservation advised: email@example.com
With the support of Transbook
STUDIO TRANSBOOK – PASSA PORTA FESTIVAL
Passa Porta festival – Brussels – from 20th till 29th March 2017
ABC has collected a wealth of books, visuals, ideas and inspiring materials around language games, reading and (visual) storytelling. Typography, calligraphy, optical illusion, visual poetry and book making are just a few of the elements on offer to play with language/stories, experiment with image and the many combinations between.
The ABC Transbook-studio is all at once a library, exhibition and workshop. Anyone from 6 years of age can either freely or with supervision work creatively with paper sculptures, storyboards, poster design, haiku, print sets, bookmarks and much more. A feast for the senses, mind and heart.
In the framework of the European project Transbook
At: School ‘De Kleurdoos’ Moutstraat 24, 1000 Brussels
– On Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th March 2017, from 10:00 > 17:00
– For everyone from 6 years.
– Entrance: Kidspas 5 euros
Info and bookings: Passa Porta Festival 2017
– on 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 27, 28 en 29/03/2017
– for children from 9 to 14 years
– Entrance, 2,5 euros / student
– Info and bookings: firstname.lastname@example.org – 02 502 00 27
POSTA SILENZIOSA 02/2017
Every first day of the month ABC sends a mail: “Posta silenziosa.” A powerful image, a provocative quote, a poetic thought, etc, coming from the ABC collection or the web, and sometimes linked to one of our current projects, but mainly just because we like to surprise you. An eye- or heartcatcher, or call it ‘a healthy form of emotional irritation.’
Sign up here if you want to receive Posta Silenziosa.
EX LIBRIS ABC:
Marcel Mariën, Le passager clandestin
© Pandora Publishers, Ronny Van De Velde
NEW EXTENSION OF THE ABC HOUSE
Working in close collaboration with the HUB-architects, ABC has realized an extension of the existing building. The new addition of the ABC-house consists of two spaces: on the ground floor is a laboratory classroom and on the first floor there is a space for movement/silence/meditation.
- The laboratory classroom approximates a space where you can work with a group of about twenty-four children (as in a regular school). They can – at the request of and in consultation with the teacher- be provided with modular furniture and materials to make the interior design as inspiring and multifunctional possible. In this way, we hope to emphasize the importance of quality architecture and creative learning environments to (future) teachers. In the same way, we want to see this room as a ‘mental space’, an empty spot which allows you to experiment freely and openly according to a new interpretation of education. We hope to inspire teachers/lecturers in a more artistic and personal way of teaching, where art and creativity are the basis of the whole curriculum. ABC as an advocate of an ART BASED CURRICULUM.
- In the silence and movement space, both young and old can become more sensitive in the areas of meditation, physicality, rhythm and music, a key addition to what is currently offered in the ABC-house, where we are already working in visual arts, architecture & design, textile, theater, film, stories, etc.
Koen Drossaert, HUB-architects (www.hub.eu)
The architecture of the building is simple and austere, but attempts to find the poetry in dealing with utilitarian materials and the industrial heritage of the site. A basic material, red brick, is chosen, which is so typical of old factory buildings, but is also instituted in a more refined application in a number of historic buildings on the Gaucheret square. From this vision, the brick material connects the site with its factory chimney and the surrounding urban fabric. Like ABC itself, it attempts to bridge the gap between different cultures and places.”
Thanks to funding from the Flemish Community and the Flemish Community Commission
“So the Sun was able to achieve by warmth and gentleness
What the North Wind in all his strength and fury could not do”
From ‘The North Wind and the Sun’ by Brian Wildsmith (based on a story by La Fontaine)
‘The North Wind and the Sun’ is one of the five new stories we recently adapted into Kamishibais.
From now on you can lean them out of the ABC-collection, or order them through our Shop.
For a good deal of imaginative magic!